June 15, 2013
I’m starting to even bore myself a bit with this but I’m far too obsessive to stop now and still have a box of prints and a mountain of charity shop frames to combine in some form. It’s started to turn into both a relaxation technique and a mental clearing system when I’m too stressed in the office or need to come up with ideas I bibble around with some frames for a bit until I can face dealing with work again or ideas start to flow.
My first crack at a double mount, it’s ok but the colour choice (arctic white) is a bit stark, especially against the black frame and dark print. Print by Tara McPherson.
Couple more of Tara McPhersons in matching frames from one of the charity shops in town, I didn’t do anything to the frames outside of cleaning them up. I’m relatively happy with the light blue mount although the margin round the print could be better defined. The other clashes a little with the image but not horribly so.
This looks better in real life although it is still very BLUE. I found a battered (but decent) wooden frame in a charity shop and wanted to try and match it to the print, it is still very BLUE and the trim is a bit too WHITE, also the colours bled together a bit when I varnished the frame.
I picked up some awesome prints by Kallus Spore at Maidenhead’s Art on the Street, having learned from the last effort the challenges of doing multiple colours (and also because I wanted to get it done quickly) I just went for a striking red. Really happy with the result.
One of a set of three beautiful Jeremiah Ketner prints I bought last year. The frame didn’t need any work but I’m really happy with the mount, best effort so far with a nice even border round the image.
One of a bunch of Kozyndan postcards and prints that have been sitting in a box for too long.
I’m becoming a frame bore and will shut the hell up about it soon. I am happy with how our office is starting to look though, it gets a reaction from everyone that visits, although it’s still pretty chaotic with piles of frames and mountboard everywhere.
I’m going to try some more interesting techniques soon, although possibly on some of my own pieces as don’t want to ruin other people’s art. I’m a bit limited by the environment (office room with no running water and not much airflow) but there’s a few bits I can try.
May 9, 2013
I started this a while back (about six months) but other things kept getting in the way. I was inspired by some craft projects my friend Caitlin had done and some of the projects on Cut Out and Keep. It’s my first attempt at decoupage (which I still cannot pronounce correctly). I bought a cheap wooden frame and a cheap hardback from a charity shop. Buying the book was the biggest challenge, I have an irrational negative reaction to the idea of ripping up a book for any purpose at all so I chose one that I would absolutely never read (an action thriller of some sort, no offense to the author it’s just not my sort of thing).
Rather that buy expensive decoupage paste I used cheap white glue mixed with water, it took a while to work out the best mix. It turns out the best method when using paper from a paperback is a lot of water and to absolutely soak the paper before applying it or it just comes right off when it dries. I should probably have sanded down the frame first or applied a layer of matt paint, it was fairly glossy and it took a lot of work to get the first layer of paper to stick.
Once it had dried I gave it a bit of a paint over with some white watercolour to brighten it up a little then coated the whole thing in clear acrylic varnish. Pretty happy with the result, I want to try again but something a bit more planned and designed.
Once again I failed to take before/during photos.
March 20, 2013
Work has not allowed a huge amount of time for framing based adventures in recent times, but have managed to get a couple more bits done. I managed to clean up and re-glaze the charity shop frame I smashed a while back and the double mount looks pretty good.
I decided I was unhappy with the frame I painted a while back so gave it a bit of a clean up and went over the paint where it was patchy, realised the main issue was the matt paint made it look dull so after a bit of research I found some satin acrylic and gave it a couple of coats, looks much nicer now.
The office walls are looking a little less bare. I’ve started working on a couple of more challenging refurbs which I’ll photograph when done, annoyingly I forgot to take any pictures before I started.
January 9, 2013
Minor disaster in the office. I picked up a mountboard cutter for myself as a Christmas present from the lovely chaps at DIY Framing. I went over to see them in Wycombe as it’s just round the corner, really recommend giving them a visit, incredibly well stocked and helpful, they gave me a big pile of mountboard offcuts to practice with. Anyway, because I didn’t think it through I bought (a while back) a whole bunch of arctic white mountboard rather than a nice mixed selection, it looks a little stark in combination with the prints and frames I’m working on. To try and offset this I had a go at double mounting a pic in a nice second hand frame I found in Oxfam a couple of months back. I didn’t measure properly and the double mounting meant the backing board wouldn’t fit, tried to force it and smashed the glass. Fortunately I didn’t damage the print or myself. I’ll get some replacement glass and a greater range of mountboard once I’ve lifted the post-Christmas spending ban again.
I am Bob. This is my blog. It is an outlet and a substitute for real life. It contains my art, photography, illustration and thoughts on mental health (I deal with anxiety on a pretty much constant basis).
Help fund my existence. Buy my stuff (t-shirts, art prints, stock images & graphics)